A random collection of things to Bloggle your mind

Thursday 19 April 2012

It runs in my family......and i'm running from it

I know more than most people what it is like to live around depression.


My grandma has suffered from it for most of her life, and even my mum (a shock for anyone that knows her) has suffered.
Statistics show that you are 8 times for likely to suffer from depression is one parents has suffered. Not looking good for me.


Depression should NOT be laughed at, or skimmed over. It is a real illness with real symptoms. It's not attention seeking and people cannot "snap out of it".  


I know I am not totally out of the path of this illness. I have had one or two knocks during the last 10 years of my life, and I seriously lack self-confidence. NOT something that is very good for me to be doing! For the record, I have never been diagnosed with depression, I have never experienced true depression, and touch wood I never have to. Yet I have had friends go through it, and family. 


It affects people in many different ways:
Feeling low for long periods of time
Loosing interest in things you once enjoyed
Tearful or anxious
Guilt ridden
Lack of Motivation
Can't make decisions
Suicidal
Loss of Appetite
Lack of Energy


I have experienced more than one of the above, however I won't state which ones as I believe I have been suffering more from grief/ bereavement rather than depression in the last 5-6 months. There is a difference! I have been able to pull myself out of my dark times, usually with help but more recently completely alone.




Depression is NOT a sign of weakness!


If you know someone with depression, or suspect someone is depressed, then for God's sake help them! Do not turn your back on them. They may be ungrateful for your help/ intervening at first, but trust me they will thank you for it in the long run. Don't be scared to help them. Usually, if you can "see" signs of depression, it means that they are no longer able to cope by themselves. Many people get low days, bad days, rollercoaster emotions, yet they may never tell people. They can cope on their own and overcome any bad feeling. 




There are so many people out there to help you! If you think you may suffer from depression, or you know someone who does and don't know what to do....Don't be afraid to ask for their help! 


This is dedicated to my friends who have fought and are fighting depression. You know who you are xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment