A random collection of things to Bloggle your mind

Friday 6 April 2012

First time car buyer

So I am in the process of buying my first car!


I do have rather strict guidelines on what I want.
- Automatic
- Stumpy (short)
- Second hand
- I want to try and get the whole package (car + insurance) for £1500


So the hunt was on. For the last month I have been trawling through the internet, and newspapers to find a suitable car.
That seemed to lead me nowhere, so for the last couple of days I have been travelling to local garages to see what they have in stock.
I see some lovely cars, and leave the mechanics up to my dad and younger brother. Just as I like something, they say that there is a problem with suspension, or cost, or engine size. URGH, yawn. 



Today I went up to Ipswich, to a second hand garage. There, my dad pointed out a baby blue Hyundai Amica, £1295 with 6 months tax, 12 months MOT and 3 months warranty.
I liked the look of it, nice size, had a test drive in it and it felt pretty good. Of course I have now been introduced to the world of car dealers and sellers, and their pushy sales manner. Feeling a little under pressure I left (but in good spirits and saying that I would return) with the registration number and headed home to quickly look up the insurance.


Found that my cheapest insurance is £330. NOT BAD! 
HOWEVER I am terrible at spending money, I hate parting with money and I have never spent this much money on something before. 
Uneasy, we head back out again to return to the garage, armed with my negotiation skills. However, being good friday, it had closed early, bummer! Leaving me with time to think about everything, which is never good!


I am now in a right old muddle over what to do. I've been told that another buyer is coming down from YORKSHIRE, and I live in SUFFOLK, Saturday morning to view it. (not sure how true this may be)


I have roughly 12 hours to make a decision about going back......
Who would have thought buying your first car would be this stressful??!!


                                       Anyone remember these??? That's more my style!

1 comment:

  1. Take your time to think and never make rush decisions. Buying a car is as serious as buying a house, and it's important to spend your money wisely. If you're still thinking twice about the car that you saw, then maybe you should do another round of car hunting. I hope that at the end, you were able to buy the car that you really liked.

    -Rigoberto Axelson @ BrandonDodgeOnBroadWay

    ReplyDelete