A random collection of things to Bloggle your mind

Sunday 8 April 2012

The Big Heave Ho!

After just 6 months, I am quitting the Body Shop at Home. 


I think I have finally seen sense.


When I first decided to join back in October everyone around me was against it, yet I couldn't understand why. I didn't go into it as a job or a job alternative, I merely wanted some extra things on my C.V. Like I have mentioned before I am currently training to be a beauty therapist, and I thought that this company could have given me a lot of experience in:
- basic treatments
- selling
- ingredients
- self- employment (time management etc)


Since October I have had 2 parties. That is not good on anyone's books. One of them was my own!! I have had no chance to practice everything.
I have advertised everywhere I possibly can, expect newspapers. I use Facebook, Ebay, adverts in shops, online selling sites. No-one is interested and it makes me wonder why?


I then decided to take a different avenue and just stick with catalogue sales. Again, no-one is interested. I'm not a pushy sales person, yet that seems to be the only way you can survive within the company. My only saving grace in the last 3 months has been a business buyer in Bristol. She buys from me in bulk giving me £400+ orders each time (about 2 x a week). 


HOWEVER she wanted to buy at a reduced price. As a consultant I get 25% off everything I buy for myself. So I found myself putting her orders through in my name, and sometimes taking more off than 25%, on one occasion I actually PAID her to order, because she paid less than the actual total was! Stupid. Bloody Stupid. Its TBSAH 18th birthday this year, and to celebrate they are having a ball at Luton Hoo Hotel. Not everyone gets an invite, but 1 way you can bag an invitation is by being in the top 60 sellers nationwide. (Basically generate sales of £3000 between February - April)
I really REALLY wanted to go to this event. BUT it clashes with Eurovision, so **** it! I am leaving the company, with sales of £2597. So close, and I am the 36th top seller in the U.K.
This is going to make it hard for me to give a reason to my manager for leaving, as my sales don't reflect my genuine failure. So I shall just leave quietly. 


Even having stalls at fairs and events. I was losing money! I would pay £10 for the stall, then however many £'s for petrol only to sell nothing. I sit at my stall and people would look at my stock as if it had fallen off the back of a lorry. I would also be in constant competition with companies like Avon, Vie at Home and professional therapists.


So, i have had enough 
I recon in the 6 months, what with everything I sold and spent, I have probably only made £100. 


Do I regret doing it?
No, because I do still have the proof that in the last 3 months, legitimately I have accumulated sales of around £2500. And since November my total sales are just over £3000. That will sound very tasty to potential employers as it proves my selling power. I also was self-employed, I had to manage my time and I was working within a global company. 


I'm not a quitter. This is just not the right thing for me to be doing. I'm glad I tried it. I feel I gave it a good shot. And I am sad, because I did want it to work. But, i'm learning that in life you have to walk away from the things that won't work.


All I can say is now, CHEAP BODY SHOP ITEMS ON EBAY!!! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment