A random collection of things to Bloggle your mind

Monday 12 March 2012

Dinosaurs

I LOVE them. I am fascinated by them!


This started when I was a very young girl. My older brother loved dinosaurs and marine creatures, and we would always watch videos together about them, play games about them and read books about them.
Then my younger brother came along, and was also into dinosaurs. So I had a double whammy of them as a child. And the fascination has never gone away. I have even completed and passed a course with the Open University entitled "Fossils and a History of Life"


Dinosaur literally means "Terrible Lizard". They existed on this planet from 250 million years to 60 million years ago. Humans currently live in the Holocene period, whereas Dinosaurs lived in the Cretaceous and Mesozoic eras, split commonly into Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous. (GEEK!)
See I know a lot! I still watch dinosaur programs today, and if I could I would happily just sit in a library with a book about them! I've seen the stage show of walking with dinosaurs at the O2, which was pretty good. And I do love a trip to the Natural History Museum, although you will find that anyone I go with will end up getting a guided tour from me!


So who where my favorites? 
Tough one! Of course, everyone has to love the Tyranosaurus (Tyrant Lizard) Although so many people get this wrong, they were NOT the most feared dinosaur, nor were they the biggest meat eater! Carcharodontosaurus and Spinosaurus where both bigger in size, the later being DOUBLE the size. Liopleurodon was massive, even though it was a sea-dweller. I also really liked Allosaurus. Don't know why, just do. I recon its because of the shape of the head! 
Veg- eating Dinos, I love pretty much all of them. I find these ones more fascinating to look at, as some you can see the resemblance to modern day reptiles. Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Iguanadon, Triceratops and Pachycephalosaurus are some of my favorites. 


With movies like Jurassic Park and BBC Documentaries like "Walking with...." our knowledge on these bizarre creatures has been tried and tested. And we have learnt alot. For example we now know that the way velocoraptors were perceived in the Jurassic Park films was totally wrong. They in fact have feathers!


There are still so may questions unanswered. How did they die? How did the live? And i'm sure there are many more species and fossils still undiscovered.


If I could have my time again, I would DEFINITELY go and study Paleontology. I hope everyone can read this and LEARN SOMETHING today! I'm such a Geek. 



No comments:

Post a Comment