A random collection of things to Bloggle your mind

Saturday 31 March 2012

Big Dance 2012

A couple of days ago I went up to London for an audition/ welcome event for Big Dance 2012.
Big dance is a bi-annual event that was started by the Mayor in 2006. 


This year they are tieing their celebration in with the Olympics. The main festival will take place during 7-15 July with many events happening across the U.K. Its a big celebration of dance, with many events taking place at Museums, Theaters, Shopping Malls and other public places.


I am hoping to not only be a dancer within some of the events, but also to be a volunteer for others. At the event on Thursday they outlined some of the volunteer roles that need to be filled. I'm hoping for crowd control/ ushers, only because I need something with very little rehearsal time. I live a good 1 1/2 away from London by train, and commuting could soon cost a lot, plus my olympic rehearsals are scattered here and there. I also volunteered to be on the social media and reporting team. This would involve twitter, facebook and also being out in the action armed with film equipment, filming the event and also filming the reactions of the general public.


One of the most famous things that Big Dance organise during this event is Flash Mobs. For anyone that doesn't know what those are I shall explain....
Basically a Flash Mob involves a group of people (planned) gathering in a public place, and perform an unusual and spontaneous act for a short period of time and then disperse. The effect is really incredible. Generally the groups are made up of many dance schools and groups who have had the time to rehearse and then come together to perform. This is something i've always wanted to be part of, so fingers crossed. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ie_xbrDx0
Watch this flash mob, be blown away!


I came away from my trip on Thursday with my head spinning with all this information. And a FREE BIG DANCE t-shirt.


London 2012 is offering so many once in a lifetime opportunities. While I still have my life, before embarking on a career and living alone in September, I am going to make the most of every opportunity. 
I'm so lucky to be involved in the Olympics in so many ways. And to possibly be involved with Big Dance is just icing on the cake. I'm not a professional dancer, I only have 6 years dance experience from when I was little. I never got the opportunity to showcase any skills at my 6th form, and even if I did get the chance I would have been too scared to say yes, fearing that I could have been a repeat of "Susan Boyle". The only time, recently, that I have danced in front of an audience was back in 2006, at my Senior School during our Christmas show. The surprised comments from staff and pupils gave me a real buzz, but not enough courage to get me back onstage again. Until now!

No comments:

Post a Comment